Returned yesterday from a few really great days in Boston. The whole thing was a bit of a whirlwind. I:
- Slept about 2 hours
- Worked 1 AM to 6:30ish AM
- Showered and got my things ready
- Rode the bus to Boston
- Met up with Spencer, who I met at a Mountain Goats show about a year and a half ago
- Walked to his place and watched The Fly
- Walked to Harvard Square, ran into a freaky religious parade, and ate pizza
- Walked to the Middle East and hung out in the area til the doors opened
- The Vanderslice show was wonderful. I met a girl named Sarah who was at the Darnielle/Vanderslice show in Northampton Mark and I were at, and who was a total sweetheart. She and I went over to talk to John when he finally appeared at the merch table, and he remembered both of us. Still one of the nicest people I've ever met. We talked about our travel excursions, my job ("Honey, you've gotta get out of there. Don't just try, do it. It's not worth it to feel degraded all the time."), vegan treats, internet trends, etc. He hugged us a lot and told us he really wanted us to be in the front.
The Tallest Man on Earth, the opener, was wonderful. Little Swedish man with a funny mustache who had an incredible stage presence. The Vanderslice set was awesome as well; had a really great time dancing around.
Afterwards, we talked to him again, and he immediately put his arms around Sarah and I, turned to someone and said, "These are cool people. They were right out front the whole time, and they made the show great." Which launched into a conversation about how rude people can throw off shows but a good crowd can make a show amazing. I ended up with a pink Vanderslice pillow case with a kitty and a mouse on it.
- Walked Sarah to the T, then met up with Keith and said goodbye to Spencer, who I had a really great time with
- Went to Keith's and ate stir fry
- Went to bed, woke up to his roommate's cat, Decaf, snuggling between us
- Made tofu scramble and tea
- Walked around, then drew pictures of creatures til we met up with Mark
- Got Bubble tea and used books and sandwiches
- Said goodbye to Keith (who I need to visit when I'm not going to a show)and went over to the Bill Callahan show
- The show was in this little movie theater, really small and intimate. The opening band, Lights, was kind of obnoxious, but had sort of potential. Bill Callahan was wonderful; it's surreal to see someone with such a distinct voice actually sing. The crowd was really awkward though. One guy told Bill to hurry up while he was tuning, and that he wanted his 20 dollars worth. Errrrgh. It made me so uncomfortable. Saw Aaron Lovely afterwards, who was so happy with the show.
- Got hopelessly lost on the way home and drove the same 4 roads for an hour or so til finally I called Spencer, who gave us perfect directions home. Thank you, Spencer.
- Didn't get home til 3:15 AM, so Mark took the next day off, so we hung out and read and relaxed all day.
( Some pictures of things.Collapse )
All in all, I had a great time. A great time with Spencer, a great time with Keith, a great time with Mark, a great time with Sarah, a great time with John Vanderslice. Days like this remind me why I spend all my money on this stuff; it's so worth it.